Jiggle the Handle

What do men and women think in the bathroom? Look at a blog that examines what men and women think. We're a real couple with real, practical ideas about relationships.

Thursday, December 14, 2006

Follow Through

Before I begin, let me clarify my title. In truth, it’s a lame pop culture reference. But, in my mind, it’s quite complicated. Not so long ago, when the world was a simpler place. Donald Rumsfeld was still Secretary of Defense. The highest guy in town was still Rush Limbaugh (or maybe a Kennedy), not somebody from Heroes. It was a time when the Republicans were still in charge, and America was ready for a quick exit from Iraq.

A little show called The O.C. was tops on the tube, and Gavin Degraw’s song, Follow Through made it onto the show to back one of the moody montages that accompany most teenie bopper shows. I was immediately in love with the sexy young crooner. What can I say? I’m a sucker for a sexy voice. Before you knew it, I had Chariot, the album, and I was a fan.

That has absolutely nothing to do with this post or with my marriage. No, this is all about following through, but I used the song there. You see how clever I am? I hope so because I remind my wife just how damned smart I am, but she doesn’t believe me.

What this is about is doing stuff. My wife and I had a discussion not so long ago about projects. We were putting in floors—a subject which has been thoroughly covered by my more than significant other. She has even recently mentioned her inability to complete projects. I am very different from her in this respect. And, I figured out how I’m different.

My problem usually isn’t finishing projects. Rather, I don’t like to start them. It’s not because of a fear of failure. My wife will be more than happy to point out that my ego would never allow me to admit that I could possibly fail. No, it’s got nothing to do with my ego. It’s all about my ass. Yes, I love my ass. Most of all, I love sitting on my ass. And, sitting on my ass precludes any sort of what I like to all “activity.”

Thus, where my wife will start a master’s program and never finish it. I will manage to put off turning in my Ph.D. program application for six months. I’ll take a little thing like putting a shelf on the wall and avoid starting that for at least a month. Most of all, I can take a job like writing a blog or writing and novel and never do it. That’s impressive stuff. Don’t you think?

What does all this mean? (I can’t count how many times I’ve asked myself that question.) Usually (and this is no exception), the answer is a resounding “NOTHING!” Nevertheless, I am here with a vow. Consider it an early New Year’s resolution. I resolve that from this point on. I will try to babble incoherently as often as I can on the Internet about my marriage. I will make stupid pop culture references and spend an inordinate amount of time explaining them. I will badmouth my wife and spend the rest of the night apologizing.

I apologize to all three of our readers and to my wife for being a non-starter, and I aim to change my ways. May God have mercy on all your souls.

Chris

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home