Jiggle the Handle

What do men and women think in the bathroom? Look at a blog that examines what men and women think. We're a real couple with real, practical ideas about relationships.

Monday, August 14, 2006

The Big Night Out

With the fifth wedding anniversary quickly approaching, it seemed only appropriate that the Missus and I head out for a night on the town. Naturally, as I’m sure many of you other parents can appreciate and you not-so parents can envy, we are slightly hindered by the larger-every-day thing that seems to be there every time we turn around.

Remember that Reese Witherspoon movie, Sweet Home Alabama? Don’t feel badly if you don’t. I don’t either, really. But, I remember one line. She says to an old friend, “You have a baby…in a bar.”

(Note: Don’t let my wife lie to you. I really don’t like chick flicks. I have never seen Sweet Home Alabama, nor do I know anything about it, aside from that line and that it starred Reese Witherspoon, I think.)

You can imagine the white trash comments that would come along with taking a baby out drinking some night. We don’t do that. In fact, we don’t ever go out at all anymore, ever. So, it was quite change for us to leave the child with my sister-in-law and go out for a night on the town—a night that started with 5pm dinner reservations and ended when we walked through our door at around 8:30.

The difficult part about all this is that we had a lot of time to talk, and I think we both quickly realized that we’re a little rusty. Janice really hasn’t had a drink in months. So, the one mojito she did have put her into a tailspin. I should have taken her home that moment and taken advantage of her, but I was hungry.

After an egregiously expensive dinner, we went to Target and bought pillows. What fun, huh? The best part was trying to convince her to buy a plasma TV. (Talk about taking advantage.) I think, if I could have gotten one more mojito in her, it would have happened.

Along the way, we talked and wondered about why we have no friends. But, after rereading this, I can clearly see the reason. Hanging out with us is about as exciting as driving Miss Daisy. (I know, but apparently, the little man in my head that comes up with all of my good comparisons is on vacation.)

Well, I hope you enjoyed our boring. Don’t get too lost in this entry, or you may never find your way out. I’m going to need months of therapy to get over writing it myself.

Chris

3 Comments:

At 1:50 PM, Blogger Carrie said...

Happy Anniversary! When is it? Don't worry, you have blog friends! That is the way I look at it. You don't have to clean up the house when we come over. You can have a conversation or learn about ones life in your underwear.

 
At 5:20 PM, Blogger Chris said...

I actually think that's why I don't have any reality friends: because, I talk to them in my underwear, like when we go out to dinner and stuff.

Chris

 
At 6:39 PM, Blogger twobuyfour said...

I remember those days well. "Honey, why don't we have friends anymore?" Damn kids. Now they're old enough I can take them to the bar with me!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home